B.Tech junior Asim's Post from : GROUNDED : Coz I was Meant to Fail

http://straittome.blogspot.in/%3E

"The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?"

It all started with me admiring my elder cousin's coding skills and the adrenaline rush that used to pump him up all of a sudden for no reason that I could make. Already interested and fascinated, more percentage of fascinated part, I took my first step in the competitive programming world. I wrote my first code on a competitive-programming site on 5th-June'2013. I knew I was not talented, I needed to develop my skills. Starting off was not the hard part, the tough part was keeping myself motivated and continuing.
I took part in CodeChef short contest in July'13 and ended up solving only one problem in 33-mins :P. It was my bad-phase afterwards, took part in many contests in the following months on CodeChef but failed to solve even one question. I remember my dad teasing me on my 0-points in every contest as I used to spend all my time thinking on questions in CodeChef long challenges. Following the profiles of people whom I knew personally, I started practicing questions on CodeChef and finally cracked two questions in October-Long challenge. By this time I was in college and had started competing with college mates.It was Nov'13 when I realised that I had to work harder to get noticed in college. I got a rank of 74 in November-Long challenge in college. It made me realise my pathetic coding skills, and I started my sickening practice sessions on CodeChef, spending all my time in cracking practice problems, reading editorials, going through basic algorithms, STL, and some online forums but a crisis was waiting for me, could crack only one problem in Dec'13 10-day Long challenge. It left me thinking for a couple of days, was I really meant to code??



The credit of my recovery goes to You-Tube. I just watched inspirational videos for a whole day and made a promise to myself that I'll reach the Top-15 of my college CodeChef-ranking. What followed was, which if put dramatically, I would call "Coding Crusade". There was no turning back for me, I screwed my semester-exams, internals, even lost contacts to my friends, no matter what, there was NO-BACKING-DOWN. I started practicing with time-limits, participating in short-contests held by different colleges and being honest to myself. I got help from my seniors in college and then it was Feb'14-Long-Challenge. Finally all my hard work paid off, I ended up solving 4 questions with a rank of 73 in college. Though my rank was not good enough, I was happy with my performance. I started working on harder problems, and in March'14-Long-Challenge, I could crack 6-questions with a rank of 24 in college. I was very close to my aim, but yet so far.

April'14, this was what I was waiting for last 10-months, I succeeded in cracking 6-questions fast enough and got a rank of 12 in college. I realised it's not rating or ranking that judges a programmer, but it's the knowledge that one holds. I started taking part in CodeForces rounds, TopCoder SRMs and even started Web-designing. Learning every single aspect, learning through practice, failing every-time, but just not giving up. In following months, I managed to somehow get a place in top-5 in Long-Challenges in college. Improving at my speed, I managed to touch Blue-color on CodeForces and get really close to Purple-rating, and finally I could tease my dad back, which, for reasons know to me, made him smile.




I failed all my life, on every step, every moment, crushed and beaten, beaten to bits, but ultimately I could find my passion, and get to a decent position. It was then I came to know about "Indian Programming Community" to be regulated by Anudeep Nekkanti, I applied to be a member of the community, and to my amazement, I got selected, (I was numb for around 10-mins when i got that mail).. With all my hard-times in my mind, and a goal in front of me, I continue practicing and  working hard every second, every moment. Thanks to support of all my amazing friends, who stand with me in my crazy plans, impossible ideas and life-threatening adventures ;) , I know i have just taken my first step of a long journey that i have initiated, what I just need to remember is that, I am not talented, I just have to work hard, and harder and harder to improve on my skills.

--Asim K Prasad -aka- pakhandi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Design Patterns

What is microservice ?